Have you just completed your graduation from an Australian university? Now, instead of going back to your home country, you may choose to stay back in Australia. You may either choose to study more or get a job in any sector. If you have some serious thoughts about staying back in Australia, you will first need The Graduate Visa 485 and then apply for a PR or Permanent Residency Visa.
What Is A Temporary Graduate Visa Subclass 485?
As per the trends in these recent years, most international students have chosen to continue with further studies in Australia. Most international students go for a higher degree or apply for a Skilled Migration Visa once their graduation gets completed. If you choose this option, you must also think about the expenses, as you will need to cover your tuition and visa application costs.
For further studies or applying for a skilled migration visa, you should have the Temporary Graduate Visa Subclass 485. As the name suggests, it is a temporary visa and will allow you to stay in Australia from 18 months to 4 years. In this period, you can either find a job or learn specific occupational skills to meet the eligibility criteria for applying for a general skilled migration visa. In general, 75% of applications get processed in 5 months, while the processing time for 90% of applications is 6 months.
What Are The Two Streams Under Visa 485?
Under the Temporary Graduate Visa 485, there are two streams, any one of which you can apply for.
- Graduate Work Stream
To apply for this visa, you have to meet two requirements. First of all, you have to be an international student. Secondly, you should have completed at least a diploma or trade certificate qualification in a course on the eligible Skilled Occupation List of Australia. With this visa, you can stay in Australia for 18 months.
- Post-Study Work Stream
If you are an international student and have done your graduation with a Bachelor’s or Master’s or Doctorate, you will be eligible to apply for this visa. Regarding the course, you should remember that it should be CRICOS-registered. CRICOS stands for the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students. 2 to 4 years can be your duration of stay with this visa.
What Are The Eligibility Criteria For This Visa?
As there are two separate streams in this visa, there are some additional stream-specific requirements, too.
- Age limit- Your age should not exceed 50 years at the time of application.
- Student visa- You should have had a student visa in the past 6 months before your application. If you don’t have it, you need to have a Bridging Visa A or Bridging Visa B to become eligible for the 485 Visa.
- Course requirement- Your course must be registered with the CRICOS. Qualification required for Graduate Work Stream is diploma or trade qualification, and that for Post-Study Work Stream is Bachelor or a higher degree.
- Required Course Duration- Your completed course duration should have been 2 years.
- Your Presence In Australia- For the course, you should have stayed in Australia for a minimum of 16 months.
- Skill Assessment Requirement- Skill assessment requirement is needed only for Graduate Work Stream. You should have a skill included in the MLTSSL or Medium and Long Strategic Skills.
- Education Providers Should Have CRICOS Registration- Not only should the course be registered with the CRICOS, but your institute should also have been CRICOS-registered.
- English Language Requirements- It is one of the vital requirements if you are not from a native English-speaking country like Canada, the UK, the USA, New Zealand, or the Republic of Ireland. You should provide the score of any internationally accepted English languages tests like IELTS, PTE, Cambridge Advanced English, or TOEFL iBT.
What Are The Benefits Of Visa 485?
All Australian cities and regional areas are categorized into three divisions under this visa. Under Category 1, three major cities, Brisbane, Melbourne, and Sydney, are included. Major regional centers and cities such as The Gold Coast, Adelaide, Canberra, Perth are included under Category 2. And, in Category 3, other regional areas and regional centers that are not placed in the last two categories are included.
There will be a one-year extension on the Post-Study Work Stream Visa if you study in an educational institute located in a Category 2 place. And, if you choose to study in an institute located in a Category 3 city, there will be a two-year extension on the same visa.
So, if you get the chance to stay for 4 years for your PhD studies with the Post-Study Work Stream, you will get an additional one year to finish your research work if you are staying in a Category 2 city, and two more years for the same purpose in a Category 3 city.
How Can Visa Subclass 485 Lead To Permanent Residency?
There are several visa options available through which the Visa Subclass 485 can be turned into PR. A migration agent Adelaide can help you with the application.
- Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (Subclass 482)
For a successful application, you should have worked in a specific occupation for a minimum of 2 years. As you will have full-time employment rights in the 485 Visa, you can easily get this required experience of 2 years.
- Skilled Visas (189, 190, and 489)
Skilled Independent Visa 189, State Regional Provisional Visa 489, and State-Sponsored Visa 190 are points-based visas. It means you have to achieve a specific point score in the points test. With the 485 Visa, you can collect the necessary points set for work experience. You can also earn the essential points that will benefit you in the skills assessment if you are an engineer, an accountant or an IT professional.
- Employer-Sponsored 186 Visa
If your employer or company sponsors your stay in Australia, you can apply for this permanent visa. You will be required to show at least three years of experience in the working field. It can also be gained by working with the 485 Visa.
- Regional Sponsored 187 Visa
Regional Sponsored Visa requirements are similar to those of the Employer-Sponsored Visa. The only difference is that you need to gather work experience in a regional center of Australia.
What Are The COVID Restrictions On This Visa?
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, international travel is still restricted. Many international students are now studying online. But, discussions are going on at the Government level, and if there come any major changes, they will be published on the government website immediately.
Are you thinking of studying in Adelaide? If yes, it will be very beneficial for you. First of all, as Adelaide is a Category 2 city, you will get a one-year extension on the Post-Study Work Stream Visa. The educational scenario and working environment in Adelaide are also very professional.
You may get an overall idea about all the eligibility requirements of this visa. You can get in touch with us if you are worried about, the best ‘migration agent near me’ or the top-rated migration agent Adelaide.